Last week we tweeted about the new Blink Washing campaign from Virgin Mobile, a YouTube experience that reacts to your blinks. The project is a collaboration between rehabstudio, Mother New York and Greencard Pictures. CS went to have a chat with team behind it.
To create a hypnotic, barrier busting, brain-retraining experience that informs viewers about the benefits and misconceptions of Virgin Mobile in a different way, with every blink of their eye.
2. What was the key insight that lead to the idea?
A research poll (carried out by Virgin) that showed viewers weren’t fully aware of the breadth of Virgin Mobile’s benefits.
3. What where the biggest challenges during the project?
1. Being able to switch videos without causing playback buffering. There is some serious tech development involved, to support detecting the users bandwidth and carefully serve the right number of videos for a seamless playback experience.
2. Detecting a blink amongst the rest of the information taken in by the webcam. Care and time was invested to get this adjusted correctly.
4. What were the learnings you took away from this project?
Although rehabstudio built and meticulously controlled every element during development, there were conditions which were out of our control. Its important to understand some of the users restrictions that are out of our control.
We began by building a prototype as a proof of concept. Only when this was built, and more importantly, tested, did we move forward with the production.
6. What were the most interesting examples of eye tracking that you looked at while researching?
There was talk at Flash on the Beach 2011 regarding face recognition which gave a head start to the thinking
Fire up your webcam and head over here to try it out for yourself.
Hey, like this post? Why not share it with someone?Tweet